Kick is good !
Off late, I realized that I am missing the greatest blogging opportunity of all times. This came to my mind when I noticed that I have become an avid blog reader of the text penned down by the diverse bloggers listed on RK's webpage. The fear of lack of activity may get me kicked out of the prized list, has empowered me to write more frequent blogs. Well although the reason might sound lame but its still a reason enough to stimulate my intellectual vibes. I have been thinking of a blog subject for quite a few days now. What more could I think about in a winning Nitanny lions season! Sports !
Cricket at one time of my life used to be my passion. I still remember my good old cricket times. One of the funny things that happened one was this: It took me little time to understand that the more you play with a new bat, the better it gets. I did not used to lend my bat to my fellows because i was always under the impression that they would break it somehow. Once a very good friend of mine begged for it and I agreed. Guess what! Not only the bat broke lose but hell as well :). It was literally a fist fight and as always, just like Butters I was grounded.
Apart from general affinity, one of the other reasons that people follow cricket in India is that everybody else does. So when two friends are talking about cricket then the third one seems to be the odd one out. So he does his homework the next time around and he jumps into the loop as well. Ofcourse, I am not doubting that cricket is interesting and fun sport. But part of the reason is that; which is attributed to the media. If tomorrow Indian media starts telecasting American football or NBA I am sure it will become big with Indians. Like basketball is on the rising side in China due to Yao Ming and tennis in India due to Sania. The interest in a sport is partly carried on the shoulders of media. This was one of the main causes for me to lose interest in cricket. I was too lazy to follow cricket on the web when I could see another sport at a click of a button. This switchover mainly happened because everybody around was into it. It is like a disease. But this disease does not spreads like SARS or something. The characteristics of the sport play a crucial role in it. Like myself, I dont like baseball but I love football. I find baseball boring but if I find some friends who only follow baseball, then I would start developing a taste for it and will start exploring "interesting stuff" in there. Generally, how do you define this "interesting stuff"?
Cricket at one time of my life used to be my passion. I still remember my good old cricket times. One of the funny things that happened one was this: It took me little time to understand that the more you play with a new bat, the better it gets. I did not used to lend my bat to my fellows because i was always under the impression that they would break it somehow. Once a very good friend of mine begged for it and I agreed. Guess what! Not only the bat broke lose but hell as well :). It was literally a fist fight and as always, just like Butters I was grounded.
Apart from general affinity, one of the other reasons that people follow cricket in India is that everybody else does. So when two friends are talking about cricket then the third one seems to be the odd one out. So he does his homework the next time around and he jumps into the loop as well. Ofcourse, I am not doubting that cricket is interesting and fun sport. But part of the reason is that; which is attributed to the media. If tomorrow Indian media starts telecasting American football or NBA I am sure it will become big with Indians. Like basketball is on the rising side in China due to Yao Ming and tennis in India due to Sania. The interest in a sport is partly carried on the shoulders of media. This was one of the main causes for me to lose interest in cricket. I was too lazy to follow cricket on the web when I could see another sport at a click of a button. This switchover mainly happened because everybody around was into it. It is like a disease. But this disease does not spreads like SARS or something. The characteristics of the sport play a crucial role in it. Like myself, I dont like baseball but I love football. I find baseball boring but if I find some friends who only follow baseball, then I would start developing a taste for it and will start exploring "interesting stuff" in there. Generally, how do you define this "interesting stuff"?


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home